I’m still working on the mock up for my 18th century stays for the HSM. The first set were too short in the front, and too big, the back lacing was touching. So I made it a bit smaller, lengthened the front, and it’s fitting much better. I didn’t put any boning in for the fitting, so it’s more wrinkly than it will be.
I just need to find my boning stash and figure out what fabric I’m using for the main body of the piece. I also have to decide if I’m going to do that side lacing or not. Decisions, decisions…
Someone on the Elizabethan Costume Facebook Page asked about Renaissance dress/looks on different sized figures.
I put this together from my 16th century looks.
I also put together some pictures of different sized women from other women dressed up at Renaissance Festivals that I’ve taken over the years. All sizes, small, large, tall, short, everyone can look absolutely FABULOUS in Renaissance styles. (Pictures were mostly taken at Bristol P.F., but 1 is from Silverleaf. I was having trouble finding some of my pix)
Patterning the stays. So I patterned out my stays last night and cut them out of some mattress ticking. I haven’t yet gotten a chance to sew them together. Probably not for a few more days either. We’ll see how this pattern looks once it’s on my body
I kept fiddling with it until it looked right. I still don’t think it’s going to be long enough at the center front, but we’ll see.
I’m very squishy so I didn’t add any seam allowance. Again, we’ll see how that works out when I sew it together and try it on.
And to begin the Historical Sew Monthly 2015, I’ve just started drafting my new set of 18th Century Stays! I’m using the Elizabethan Custom Corset Pattern Generator as a base from which I’ll make my pattern pieces. I’m going to use a combination of the corset pattern generator, the 1780-85 Pregnancy Corset from Jill Salen’s “Corsets: Historical Patterns & Techniques”, and the Finely Whale Boned Corset c.1750s from the same book.
I want a set of strapless stays, as I’m happy with my pair with straps right now, but I want to make a Chemise A La Reine for Costume College, and I’d like to have an extra set of stays for reenacting. I also fluctuate a lot in fluff/weight so I want the extra lacing option. I retain water like a camel. (Please no hump day jokes)
2015 will see the replacement of The Dreamstress’ Historical Sew Fortnightly, with The Historical Sew Monthly. I love the idea of being part of a community of costumers, so I love the HS(F)M.
The first challenge for January is… “Foundations: make something that is the foundation of a period outfit.”
You don’t need to tell me twice it’s time to make a corset!!!
I’m working on lots of little projects that I need to get done before Christmas. Some are gifts, others are display pieces for the store to promote the class(es) I’ll be teaching. It shouldn’t really take me too long, but I’ve been so tired lately, and I’m finding it difficult to get motivated. I’ll be so glad when the days start to get longer. Still haven’t gotten the sewing room cleaned up, just enough to get a few things done.
The first project in the series of beginner classes I’ll be teaching is a pillowcase using the “Burrito Method”. It makes an enclosed seam for the pillowcase edge. Then it’s sewn together with a french seam.
Hi everyone! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving (those of you who celebrate here in the US).
Lots of things going on, yet nothing all at once.
Thanksgiving was at our house this year, so there was a lot of cleaning, except for in my sewing room… That’s kind of a disaster area that caught a lot of stuff that needs new homes.
I’ve also been working on my new Jamberry Nail Wraps business.
Follow me on Facebook!
When I have made some more exciting things, I’ll post a little more, but my sewing room needs a MAJOR overhaul.
Ok, so yeah, it’s after Halloween, but it was a long, fun weekend. Halloween night was rainy, blustery and cold. I didn’t get a good picture of my son in his Trick-Or-Treating outfit, but it was mostly hidden by his coat. It was cold enough to need an extra layer, and rainy enough to need something water resistant. But my kid is Michigan made through and through. Needing to come home to warm up, get a pair of gloves and a heavier coat didn’t deter him from switching out parents and going down another two blocks after having knocked on 4 blocks of houses. Some people didn’t get very many kids, I figure we got more than 75. Less than last year, more than most people. Our neighborhood has lots of young kids and grandparents.
Read the rest of this entry
I found a black velvet dress with a gold waistband at a yard sale, still with the price tag on it.
I knew I needed to make a Princess Anna dress with it.
The little girl’s Mom already got a long sleeved t-shirt to wear underneath.
It’s not supposed to be anything for a costume contest, just something to make a little girl feel like she can dress up like a princess.
I just hope the fleece cape will keep her warm enough during trick-or-treating.
I finished painting my boots. I added a little drybrushing to make them look scuffed and worn. They were just about brand new and perfectly black when I got them at the resale shop.
Still working on the rest of the outfit. Nothing that exciting to show yet.